Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The computer hating continues....

I've tried 3 motherboards, which all work to varying degrees. I'm currently conducting long-term stability testing in one of the motherboards, to ensure there isn't a problem with my new graphics card (nVidia 9800 GTX), or perhaps, the nVidia drivers. If it behaves its self for a few days, then the problem definitely was the original motherboard's PCI Express slot, or supporting electronics. The current motherboard I'm using is low on features (no 1394!!), and seems a bit sluggish. I have one last motherboard installed in another computer that I'm going to try (in a few days), which is identical to the one that failed. If it works well, then I won't need to buy anything. If not, I'll need to shell out $500, which would make me angry.

I've pursued the "frankenputer" strategy for a while, to avoid spending lots of money when a single part fails. I just swap in a new part, and continue along my merry way. It really sucks when a single part failure forces you to buy MANY new parts. Oh well....

No comments: