Monday, August 11, 2008

I hate computers

I had been hoping to wait to post on this subject until the exciting conclusion to my latest computer-related saga, but the conclusion never came. Here's a brief, day-by-day, intro, to set the stage:

Day 1) Got home from work, pushed power button on computer, no response. SHIT!
Day 2) Debugged, thought it was ($300, 2yr old) graphics card, bought new card.
Day 3) Tried to install card... doesn't fit. SHIT!
Day 4) Calmed down, hack away plastic on interfering SATA connector. Whew, it fit. Installed card. Booted. Worked fine. Crashed. SHIT!
Day 5) Next day, booted, worked fine. No problems.
Day 6) Got home from work, pushed power button on computer, no response. SHIT!

Ok, so in about a week, I've come full circle, having spent $230 on a new card. My next best guess is that the motherboard (PCI express slot) has some sort of problem. I'll be able to test this in another motherboard I have lying around. If that is stable over the course of a few days, I'll need to spend about $500 on a new MB+CPU+RAM, since my spare motherboard is too under-featured, and a little sluggish (hard disk controller? buggy chipset drivers?).

Ugh, I hate computers.

PS Its a damned good thing I have lots of them, though, or I wouldn't have been able to type this post.

No comments: